Sunday, November 20, 2011

"give thanks with a grateful heart..."

 


Some thoughts on Thanksgiving and Christmas.... 

As I was driving around today, November 20 an approximate 4 days BEFORE Thanksgiving, I realized I was listening to Christmas music while I ran my errands. Oddly enough this cartoon came into mind. 
If we truly took Thanksgiving as it is intended, a day set aside to give thanks and realize the many blessings that abound in our daily lives, we would be in a much better state of mind, body and spirit to truly celebrate Christmas. Maybe the commercial spirit of christmas actually feels threatened because it is preceded by a holiday that prompts us to stop and reflect. I think that's why the Christmas decorations come out earlier and earlier every year, to completely veil our eyes from being able to see and appreciate Thanksgiving for what it is.  

Did I start my Christmas presents already? Yes, but they are homemade Christmas presents that actually benefit from a little aging, and they are homemade with love. I actually get a lot of joy from being able to give of the fruits of my labor especially since I know that my gifts will be unique. 


Do I think its bad to listen to Christmas music early? No. Am I completely aware of some of the twisted history of Thanksgiving and the traditions of Christmas? Yes. Do I think there is something bigger amidst all of the "hullabaloo" that can be celebrated for every one and with every one? Absolutely. 

Don't forget to take a minute, an hour, or maybe even a day to remember and be thankful.




No comments:

Post a Comment